3.11.2008

Stitches

Without the bandage (and after ice cream =]), four days after fall

With the bandage, two days after fall

Last Saturday afternoon Abby had a terrible fall. She was outside with Daddy and Jacob (the nextdoor neighbor). She was running toward our retaining wall, trying to grab the water hose, which Daddy had turned on to soak some dry grass. She tripped over a tuft of grass and landed facedown on the edge of our retaining wall. It split her forehead open with about a half-inch gash, which was probably to the bone. So frightening. She was screaming, blood was pouring, and Eric was trying to call for me, but I couldn't hear because I was blowdrying my hair after a shower. When I turned the blower off, I could hear Eric screaming my name, which NEVER occurs in my house, so I knew there was an emergency. The gash was so deep, we knew we had to take her to Urgent Care or the ER. She cried while they cleaned out the wound (with NO anesthetic) and then tried to lift off the table when they gave her 3 DEEP shots to the forehead. It was so excrutiating to go through and watch for us, Mommy holding her hands down and keeping her as still as possible. The memory will be forever be imbedded on my mind. She was given 4 stitches (3 shots for 4 stitches!!), which she, obviously, couldn't feel at all. Praise the Lord she is for the most part unscathed. She was amazingly brave through it all. Though she squirmed and cried here and there, she was a real trooper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was this the first trip to ER for a accident? I will be praying she feels better and no lasting memories of the accident.
love
sarah